Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dreams or Nightmares?

I was talking with someone the other day who would not allow herself to get excited for me.  I finally had the fulfillment of a lifelong dream and have a book published...not by me, but by a real publisher.  I was excited, but she cautioned me...told me to be careful not to get too excited or the fall would be unbearable.

Should I be so worried about the fall that I never enjoy the flight?  Should the nightmare outweigh the dream?  Absolutely not!  I may never experience the dream again.  I hope I do, but I may not.  So, in my book (no pun intended) I should enjoy the success while I have it.

My parents were opposites for most of my life.  They have each mellowed a little and gravitated toward the middle over the years.  But I used to say:  "Give my mom a pony and she's worried about where it'll go to the bathroom."  "Give my dad the crap and he'll dig until he finds the pony."  One thing I learned early on:  sometimes my mom worried so much about the train crash that she never enjoyed the ride.

Go ahead and dream.  Enjoy successes while you have them.  Live now as you also prepare for eternity.  As far as I remember, Jesus said, "I came that you might have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).  So enjoy the blessings He gives and look forward to the greatest blessing of all.

Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Sometimes, the ride is all we have so we might as well enjoy it. And, while it may not end where you planned, you will have learned something on the way and had a good time doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Thanks for your response. Hope you're enjoying your journey.

    ReplyDelete